Monday, April 5, 2021

Why Black women are Underpaid

 



Lowballed at work

As I sat in a hefty office chair opposite the privileged thirty something executive, I wondered why she sat in that seat instead of myself.  I figured she probably worked hard through college and earned it, however my gut told me that she hadn't paid her dues.  As I listened to the words come out of her mouth I knew that she didn't share my experiences, therefore she couldn't relate. 

Her seat was prompt up high as she put her hands on the cherry wood desk, which luminated her freshly manicured nails that housed her 1.5 brilliant diamond ring.  Alongside her chair was her Hermes tote, which carried the keys to her Benz.  Yes she had a privileged life, but was oblivious to her reality. 

My reality was that of an arduous three hour round trip daily commute to the affluent city where my employment was based. I was forced to live on the outskirts of the mainland due to increased housing cost. My practicality just couldn't justify putting a significant portion of my income on rent. My plans were to  strategically secure a mortgage on a big beautiful home someday soon. 

Future Plans

Unfortunately my plans came to a halt when she apathetically stated "WE AREN'T GIVING RISES OR PROMOTIONS AT THIS TIME". That was easy for her to digest because she already had a plush lifestyle. My goals were dependent on our regular annual reviews, which included rises.  After leaving her office and digging a little; I discovered that not only was I not going to receive my increase, but that I was amongst a group whom fallen on the lower income tier in the company! 

Bitter Revelation 

Dispute my diligence during my three years of employment, I was paid exceedingly less than my male counterparts. Ironically, some of whom I trained during their onboarding process! I asked myself how this could have happened to me?  I thought: "I'm smart, skilled with a college degree. This should put me in the upper tier of salaries". 

The real question is why America feels justified with this biased type of employment practice that has existed for ages!

Being a black woman in America means that we encompass many layers, assumptions, and misconceptions, and marginalization.  Many of our white companions can't handle our candor on the black experience, and some won't understand our plight. We haven't volunteered for this role. We were born into it. Wearing the hat will mean that we will be subjected to America's conjectures of  who we are.   

With these conclusions,  America will draw up expectations for us:

-The type of neighborhood we are accustomed to

-The type of car we will drive

-The type of food we should eat 

-The type of mate we should choose

-The number of kids we will have

***The type of job and income we should settle for ***

All of the above decisions will be made for us (based on stereotypes); unless we elect to break the status quo.  It will be up to us if we want to subscribe to what scraps America is willing to give us!

Here are some statistics for us to ponder:

-Black women make up 7 percent of the population in the US workforce. 

-Black women are paid 38 percent less than white men

-White women make 21 percent more than black women

-80 percent of black women are sole or co-primary breadwinners in their households

Looking Ahead

These staggering statistics probably don't draw up alarms for any of us. These are well known statistics. Something that we have been facing for decades.  This is why I fell victim to the salary disparity.  None of us are immune to this. 

America, the country our ancestors were delivered to under severe protest.  America, the land that promises freedom, democracy, and equality had fallen short on their promise, and as a result my afro-sisters and I have suffered.  

It's perplexing how a land with such wealth and resources falls short on providing for it's own citizens.  Should we attribute that the gap in income is due to capitalism, competition, or simply greed?  My vote is that it is the latter. 

There is plenty of abundance in our land, it's time for us to get a bigger piece of the pie.  We can do this by knowing our worth.  I suggest doing our homework before we accept a job offer:

-Knowing our market value

-Negotiating our salary

-Thinking ahead: will this income support my lifestyle?  

-What type of salary do I need to make?

-What type of job/career is a good match for me?

-What courses can I take to update my skills?

-How can I start my own business? 

These are vital questions that we must challenge ourselves with.  Despite our efforts, we may not see the top of the glass ceiling, but at least we will have a clearer view!!!!

Note: Take an honest evaluation of yourself.  If you want more than be willing to put in more. Hone in on your natural talents by researching how to formulate a career based on what you already have.  Be willing to take a refresher course to update your skills, go back to college and finish your degree, or change your original major.  Remember, it's never too late.   Age is just a number!!.. 

"Leave your mark on this earth.. Let them know you were here by making an impact on the lives around you by whatever means!" Aniyah

Anita Moffett... AKA Aniyah- The Mommy Savior!

 My path and journey is endless!

P.S. Please leave your comments so that I can continue to get feedback and bring you more REAL stories!



No comments:

Post a Comment